Monday, July 16

..the fruits of my weekend labours... (part 1)

Well - it turned out to be a "painting weekend" as the weather, although very nice in spots, was pretty gloomy - all very conducive to shutting myself away in the loft (where my painting table and wargame space is) and wielding the paintbrush...

...following the results of the informal "vote" (sole request by BlueBear Jeff!), I'm happy to report that (although not wearing tricorn's) Grenadier Regiment von Donop are now about to join the ranks of their British pay-masters in the colonies... to be honest, I'd kind of made my mind up that they needed painting after seeing those lovely examples in the previous post. Here are the initial shots with them fresh from the painting table, but pre-varnish...

..very typically Minifigs 25mm's... but to me they have a very special charm, I especially like their faces, and I like the overall proportion of the figures.... quite difficult to paint with the style of painting I like to use (lots of washes and dry brushing) but they are just made for the wargaming table, whereas the Perry's in the previous post are gorgeous but made for the display cabinet... I varnished them before work this morning and plan basing them this evening.. Either way - as is my wont, I also had a good look round to see if there was any information on the regiment and came across a superb web site run by a re-enactment group in the US. Lots and lots information here on the various "Hessian" regiments (which actually came from several states - but over time have become grouped under the title Hessian).
One thing - it's unlikely that the entire regiment would have worn the brass mitre - my reading would indicate probably only one in four, but hey, it's my wargame table, I know that they are slightly unrealistic, but I don't care.... J In summary though (and I recommend a visit to the web page), the regimental history was as follows:


  • the regiment was raised in 1688 at the beginning of the War of the Grand Alliance (1688-1697). The regiment also served during the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1714), the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-1748) and was among the 7,000 Hessian's sent to England and Scotland in 1746 in the wake the Highland uprising of 1745 (I didn't know that we had hired Hessian's for the '45..). During the Seven Year's War (1756-1763), the regiment served in the Allied Army of Observation in Western Germany.
  • When the American War of Independence broke out in 1775, the regiment was part of the 12,000 Hessian troops hired by treaty to England. The Regiment arrived off Staten Island on August 12th, 1776 and during the war:
    • was present at the Battle of Long Island, sending out patrols that captured 80 Americans.
    • was present at the storming of Fort Washington, providing 50 men for part the "Forlorn Hope" that preceded the main assault.
    • was on the expedition to Philadelphia, participating in the Battles of the Brandywine and Germantown.
    • the Grenadiers were present as part of the Grenadier Battalion Lengerke at the failed storming of Ft. Mercer.
    • the regiment was part of General Knyphausen's division that was present but did not see action at the battle of Monmouth.
    • was part of General Knyphausen's expedition to New Jersey, and formed the rearguard along with the British 22nd regiment.
    • saw action near Elizabeth, NJ (in which the regimental commander, Colonel von Gose, had the cane knocked from his hand by a 3 pound cannon-ball!)
    • For the next two years they were in garrison until the regiment sailed for Europe in November 1783.
This is the regimental flag.. (from the excellent Warflag site). German regiments carried two standards, but I'll be using just the 1st..

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Beautiful figures there. Nothing quite like 25mm MiniFigs, is there?

    Best Regards,

    Stokes Schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the description of the difference between being made for the wargaming table and the display cabinet . . . you hit it exactly on the head.

    True, I use RSMs instead of Minifigs, but the concept is the same.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete